Monday, June 11, 2012

Euro 2012 Craze


WORD FOR THIS POST:

Soccer (n): a form of football played between two teams of 11 players, in which the ball may be advanced by kicking or by bouncing it off any part of the body but the arms and hands, except in the case of the goalkeepers, who may use their hands to catch, carry, throw, or stop the ball.
 
My home is filled with craze between hockey finals and Euro 2012. The TV screen keeps flashing between a green soccer field and white iced hockey rink. 
 
I am proud the country I was born is one of the hosts of  Euro 2012. I haven't visited since 2000, so it's been a while and it's definitely a different country since then, but I still remember it as home. So much has changed in the past 10-20 years, it's difficult to even begin to describe it. I hope to be able to take my kids in 2013 to see Poland. 

Today, I'd like to share with you some photos of Poland. Hope you enjoy:)


Warsaw: Poland's Capital











Gdansk: Located in Northern Poland on the Baltic Sea

Krakow: Located in South Central Poland, this city boasts historic castles and wonderful legends. Also home to a great University where many US doctor's get their education.







Bielawa: This is the small town I was born in. In this picture I can see my home (far in the back), church and first elementary school. (I went to two different ones).







 
Are you watching soccer? Cheering for any particular team? Have you visited Poland?

6 comments:

Annalisa Crawford said...

Love football. Cheering for England, obviously! Although no one thinks they'll do well this time, not even the English (which is new for us - usually we overhype into oblivion!)

I also keep an eye on Ukraine, because my maternal grandparents were Ukrainian - never been there or to Poland but I'd love to visit both. My grandfather escaped through Poland during WWII.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Beautiful country!
I admit I'm not a soccer fan, but I am watching the Stanley Cup finals.

Ciara said...

I love Poland. It is such a beautiful country. The people there are so friendly, too. I'm a huge sports fan. Actually, I only watch American football. I was raised on it. :)

Annalisa Crawford said...

I've just popped back to say I've tagged you in an award - please stop by and have a look!

Anonymous said...

I would love to take the fam to see the Old Country, which I think means just about anywhere in Europe. Poland would be a great place to stop and visit!

Cherie Reich said...

Beautiful pictures! I used to play soccer in school, but they don't show it over here in the States much, so I don't have any favorite teams.