Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Editing

WORD FOR THIS POST: 
earnest: (adj) 1. Marked by or showing deep sincerity or seriousness.

The past weekend and couple of days had been busy. For one, I tried to visit as many blogs as possible from the Pay it Forward Blogfest, which took a bit of time, but met some cool people and saw great blogs. I think when I get a chance I'll sit down and try to create a custom background for my own blog- something that will incorporate the essence of Two Halves. I have some ideas, but executing them, well, let's just say it will take some patience, because I have no clue where to start.

Just when I thought my editing was done for Two Halves, I was wrong. Really, deep inside I knew I'd have to give it one more sitting, read it out loud and make sure everything is perfect for the readers (which I know it will never be, but I sure will try to get it to be the best quality it can be). As I read, the pages got redder and redder from my pen. The masochist in me sort of enjoyed it, I think it comes from playing school when I was a kid, marking my own work.  I think this was the first time I liked editing, so I guess my secret is a red pen.

Bottom line: I cut out a lot. Repetition, parts that slowed the story too much and didn't move it forward etc. I'm talking thousands of words, which really, is not a lot when the novel is 104K. I'll have the final word count when I transfer the red markings to the computer and this time I'm certain, that this is it. :)  I'm curious to hear some of your stories about your own editing.

While doing that, I worked on the novella (see sidebar) which sort of happened out of nowhere. It's a prequel to Two Halves, but it's meant to be read after the book (I know it sounds weird, but it makes sense). So, in order for the novella to fit in perfectly with the novel, I had to make a few tweaks in the novel itself. Just some hints and touches that make you go 'Ohhh, that's what it was about' once you get to it. I love those kinds of stories. This novella will ROCK.

Still on track though with Two Halves. Waiting for my cover which I think should be available any day now. Depending how everything goes this weekend with formatting and how busy real life will keep me, still shooting for November. Ok, I can't really fit earnest into the blog, or I'll screw up.

3 comments:

Belinda G said...

Hi Marta,
I think the editing is an exquisite kind of agony. I both love and loathe it. I am trained in editing, so I struggle to give myself permission to be creative. Congratulations on doing that final edit! I look forward to getting there myself, one day.
All the best with it. Once you are published, I would love to interview you for my blog.

Belinda G
http://galvanizepress.typepad.com

P.S. my sister is Canadian. she married a gorgeous Canadian man and became a citizen this year. I've visited a couple of times and I'm hoping to visit again next year.

Marta Szemik said...

Hi Belinda,
I will give you a shout as soon as it's available in November. You're absolutely right though. Editing is bitter sweet. Sometimes you end up cutting chapters out, sometimes paragraphs. It's like saying 'no' to your children. You don't want to, but it has to be done.
Marta

DMS said...

Good luck! No matter how many times I edit I am amazed at little errors I will find later. Just when I think I've found them all! :)

~Jess